The Artist Essential Playlist Series
Wait, what’s this? Actual blog content? Whoa!
Yes, I know it’s been a while, but this whole “job” thing puts a bit of a damper on my ability to consume and regurgitate pop culture is somewhat limited, but what are you going to do?
I still get an itch to write, however, and I hate seeing a potential writing space go unused, so I’m kicking off a new music playlist project this week, “Artist Essentials.” In the spirit of my yearly “Best of… mixtape” series, I’m going to put together what I feel is an essential introductory Spotify playlist for a variety of musical artists, and then provide an accompanying write up explaining/defending some of my selections. These are meant to serve as an introduction for somebody who is completely new to an artist, though I’ll try to go a little deeper than well-known hits to provide a true picture of what each act is all about.
Here are the rules:
- Playlists are limited to music that is available on Spotify, simply because that is my streaming service of choice and one that is fairly easy to share with those who aren’t paid subscribers.
- There won’t be a set length or number of songs, they will vary based on longevity and quality of the artist. I will, for my own sanity, cap playlists to forty songs maximum.
- I’m not limiting the series to artists that I actually like, but rather will try and tackle a verity of acts and genres in good faith, if only to challenge my own preconceptions and notions of taste and quality. I can’t promise that my writes ups will stay 100% objective in every instance, but I will do my best to put together a playlist that faithfully showcases what an act is “all about.”
- In support of item 3, I’ll take requests. There’s 52 weeks in a year, after all, and I’ll need the help to keep things fresh. Let’s be honest though, you can expect to see a healthy does of JLo favorites along the way. The first one is all about Radiohead after all, and it is absolutely top shelf, if I do say so myself.
- Playlists and write-ups will be released into the world every Friday, though I reserve the right to take a week off from time to time. Given my well-documented love for playlist making, however, those vacations will likely be few and far between.
Other than above, there are no rules. Go ahead submit your requests about what you’d like to see. I’ve got a few queued up already, but will do my best to get to everything you submit. I’m dead serious about wanting you to push me out of my comfort zone, so give me your best shot.